Here's the thing.
All of us knitters are crazy about Outlander on STARZ. The problem is, Season 2 (which corresponds to my favorite book in the series, Dragonfly in Amber - I love the parts in France) is not coming out until April 2016.
So I thought, why not try and do something fun to help us get through "Droughtlander"? Not just a knit-along, but take it a step further with a read-along of book 1 as well.
Starting October 24, and ending one week before Season 2 premieres on Starz (date TBD), we will have a knit-along and a read-along in the Subway Knits Ravelry Group!
Here are the guidelines and rules for playing along:
There are two components: the Read-Along, and the Knit-Along. Participate in one, or both! There will be prizes for all.
For the Knit-Along:
- Knit something in an Outlander Inspired pattern (either explicitly Outlander, like Claire's mitts, or inspired, so long as a connection is made and explained in the thread - check out some here, and an example of an inspired pattern is the Lucy Hat because it reminds me of the hat Claire wore in the beginning of "The Wedding"), or with an Outlander yarn (again, either explicit like yarns from Bijou Basin Ranch, or "Outlander" by Voolenvine Yarns, or inspired by with the explanation in the thread - for example: "this shade of purple reminds me of a Scottish thistle"). You can again do either the yarn or the pattern, or both for the KAL entry.
- There can be more than one KAL entry, and you can double and triple dip into other KALs for the duration of this KAL. You must be a member of the group to participate.
- To share your knits on social media, the hashtag is #outlandeRKAL. Entries must be made in the Ravelry thread, where a winner at the end of the KAL will receive a Grand Prize via RNG.
- The final deadline will be announced once we find out the premiere date (April/May 2016 is the estimate).
For the Read-Along:
- Until we reach the end of the KAL, we will be doing a read-along of Book 1 with about 5 chapters every two weeks (though that may change once we find out the premiere date and adjust accordingly, since the intention is to finish book 1 just right before the premiere of Season 2). Each reading section will be announced in the discussion thread and the quiz thread.
- Every two weeks (Fridays by 5PM EST, unless otherwise noted in the discussion thread for that chapter section), either a multiple choice or a short response a question will be posted in the quiz thread. Winners for both multiple choice/short response will be chosen by RNG, and the winner will receive a small prize. You must be a member of the group to participate.
Spread the word! Here is an image for your blog, Ravatar, or instagram/other social media accounts. Just make sure to link back here.
Don't forget - if you're heading to Rhinebeck from October 16-18, check out the Indie Untangled Trunk Show, and booths like Bijou Basin to get planning for the KAL portion of the RKAL!
I look forward to reading and knitting along with all of you. If you have any questions, please email me, comment below, or ask in the discussion thread.